Sunday, March 28, 2010

Brunch!

When is comes to hosting brunch, Eggs Benedict is my go to dish. We were expecting a friend for brunch this morning, and I felt like making something a bit lighter and "springier" than my standard brunch specialty. Lying in bed this morning, I considered the contents of my fridge and was inspired by the salad greens, asparagus, roasted red pepper and avocado available, and decided to make a brunch salad. I had a pound of Falvo's thick-cut bacon on hand and I got that going under the broiler along with a bunch of asparagus that I had drizzled with olive oil, sea salt and cracked pepper. While the bacon and asparagus broiled, I tossed my mixed baby greens with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and threw in some herbs de Provence, sea salt and pepper. After the broiling was done, I shifted my attention to poaching the eggs and toasting some sourdough bread. I arranged the greens, chunks of avocado, crumbled bacon, and grilled asparagus on individual plates and then finished the salads with a couple of poached eggs and grated parmesan. I must say, it was delicious! Maybe the olive oil and bacon were no "lighter" than butter and ham, but I certainly felt as if it were a more virtuous brunch entree. And my theory that everything tastes better with an egg on top has been affirmed. What is your favorite brunch item?

No comments:

Post a Comment