Friday, June 22, 2012

Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter

Finally - a vampire story that I can sink my teeth into! (Sorry. I couldn't resist the cheapest of laughs. You know I live with three boys, right?). Ok, hear me now, I was NOT interested in reading this book despite the positive things I heard from coworkers who raved about it. I don't like vampire books. Period. But... 

In my quest to help my middle son to meet his dreaded Readers to Leaders requirement, I was desperate. I was familiar with this book trailer and decided to entice him to pick up the novel by playing it for him. As the video ended he asked "Can I see that again?," and I knew I was getting somewhere. After the second viewing, he asked for the book and we were in business. The thing is, though, I'm always a little skeptical about his reading - does he skip around? Miss important plot details? Read the ending first? In situations like this, I think it is best to just read the same book, so I grabbed a copy for myself (librarian perk!) and promptly lost myself in a world of American history, political strife, swinging axes and blood sucking demons.  Fabulous!

The opening chapter of the novel was set in Rhinebeck, N.Y., which immediately sucked (ha!) me in to the story.  As the time period shifted from present day to 19th century, the action-filled story kept me interested to the point I was unable to put the book down.  I loved the image of Abe Lincoln as an axe wielding assassin to bloodsuckers, be they slave owners or supernatural creatures.  Grahame-Smith does a masterful job of blending the historical and the possible to create a tale that almost seems plausible.  I highly recommend this book for teens and adults alike and must admit, that there finally is a novel in this genre that I can completely and enthusiastically endorse.  

The film adaptation of the novel opened today, June 22nd, but please read the book before you see the movie.  The movie, incidentally, is directed by Tim Burton based on a screenplay by the author Seth Grahame-Smith and so help me God, if this joint effort is a repeat of the shit show that was Dark Shadows, well, let's just say I will definitely have an axe of my own to grind.


5 comments:

  1. I think Tim Burton is just a producer on this one. I saw the preview awhile back and thought about reading the book. Then completely forgot all about it until this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. My previous comment had a word missing, so I removed it. I'm pleased that Tim Burton wasn't more involved - I would have hated to see this movie messed up by his over the top sensibilities. The story doesn't need hyperbole. I'm definitely planning to see this movie soon. And you should read the book, Jon!

      Delete
  2. OK. I would never pick up something like this. But I'm gonna try it based on your say-so. Will let you know. Also, BTW, I am refraining from seeing Dark Shadows also based on your say-so. I have fond memories of watching Barnabus after school every day. I can't have that destroyed by Johnny Depp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to hear what you think, Linda! I had no prior experience with Dark Shadows, but would have been pissed to lose 90 minutes of my present life PLUS my childhood memories. Awful!

      Delete