Saturday, July 17, 2010

Il Dolce Far Niente or The Sweetness of Doing Nothing

We all learned a little Italian on our trip (Quinn's "buon giorno" is the cutest thing ever!) but the phrase above is my new inspiration.  The sweetness of doing nothing - what a wonderful sentiment, philosophy, mantra.  The thing is, however, I really don't do "nothing" well.  My inability to do "nothing" is probably related somehow to my struggle with living in the moment. 

While on vacation, I can relax with the best of them without feeling pressured to do anything, but, at home, it's a different story.  The tighter my schedule, the more productive I am.  The 10 days of ridiculous heat and humidity we've been experiencing since our return, have completely drained me of any initiative to accomplish anything - and, as I look around the part of my house visible from my air conditioned living room, I see a lot that needs to be done.  Toys that need to be tossed, shelves that would benefit from dusting and straightening, tasks that I can't get to during the school year that are screaming for my attention, but I can't seem to get started with anything.  And, of course, there's something about humidity that just makes everything seem dirty.

This is not the sweetness of doing nothing, this is the stickiness of doing nothing. I think I'll go clean a shelf.

Il Dolce Far Niente by William Holman Hunt - Image from Victorianweb.org

No comments:

Post a Comment