Sunday, April 17, 2011

Random Cali impressions...

The weather is way better than we expected. Why did I even pack long pants?

The driving has also been less scary than anticipated. We do have a wicked cool (this is an East coast expression, isn't it? Sorry!) navigation device that has proven very helpful. I particularly like that I can request "least freeway route."

L.A. is basically indecipherable to me. I never seem to know which direction I'm traveling in, which is fine, I guess.

There aren't just beautiful people here. Believe me.

Gas and groceries are expensive. For the first time ever, I prepaid for a tank of gas from the rental car company because it was a bargain at $3.87 a gallon. Every gas station we've passed has been way over $4.00. As far as groceries go, maybe it is just my own ignorance about shopping, but 6 bagels, some fresh pineapple and strawberries, a hunk of butter and a quart of Greek yogurt doesn't cost $16.00+ in N.Y., does it?

Venice Beach was really seedy. Or maybe, gasp(!), I'm just getting old.

Homestyle Mexican food is everywhere. That is a most definite plus. I had the best ceviche of my life last night.

There are a lot of homeless people here. I suppose this is a good place to be homeless, but still...

I think I like it here more than I thought I would. I'd definitely like to come back again someday to check things out with another grownup.

I've been to California 5 times and still feel as if I haven't scratched the surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment