Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Apple-Oat Scones

I've got a little thing for scones.  Ever since the first time I experienced them on a British Airways flight, complete with clotted cream and strawberry preserves, I've had a particular fondness for them.  They're also one of those baked items that look like they were more work than they actually were, which seems to impress people.  Last weekend I gave this Martha Stewart recipe a try with okay results.  I was originally attracted to the recipe because it used buttermilk, which means fried chicken in my house, and because they were promoted as fairly healthy.


I didn't follow the recipe exactly, opting to make the dough Saturday and baking the scones Sunday, which made the dough a little wet because the apples released some juice overnight. The scones definitely weren't dry.  They also weren't particularly sweet, which I appreciated, but I still might add a little more sugar and cinnamon to them next time.  And, there will be a next time.

1 comment:

  1. These look great. Excellent scones can also be found at the Whistling Kettle (complete with clotted cream and raspberry preserves. Let me treat you sometime. It is in Ballston Spa.

    ReplyDelete