Thursday, March 10, 2011

I could almost be a vegetarian...


The boys in my life had a craving for waffles last night, a craving I was more than happy to indulge with my trusty waffle iron and a $50 jug of maple syrup.  Now, I love me some waffles, but I'm not really interested in eating a plate of carbs and sugar for dinner, except for special occasions - like discovering a 1/2 pint of heavy cream that demands to be whipped into cream.  Since that was not the case last night, I decided to indulge myself with some gorgeous greens instead.

You know I'm a huge fan of beets, and the love affair between me and broccoli rabe is well documented.  Naturally, the joining of these two beautiful veggies was nothing less than inspired - and fast.  As usual, I began with some olive oil and garlic in a deep saute pan.  I got the garlic all golden and fragrant, then turned the heat to low and tossed in a chopped sweet onion to soften.  I washed the beet greens and rabe gave them a quick coarse chop and tossed them into the pan.  I don't dry the greens because I prefer to add a small amount of moisture to the pan to give the vegetables a little help in creating steam.  Also, there's the added complication that  I accidentally melted my salad spinner in the oven a couple of months ago - oops!  Now, cover the pan and walk away for a few minutes at this point, it's actually the perfect time to wipe the sticky syrupy remains from the dining table.  Grab a bowl (isn't there something sooo comforting about eating from a bowl?), drizzle with some balsamic vinegar and dig in.  If there are  leftovers, I think they would be excellent in an omelet or tossed with some pasta, but with a dish this is easy and tasty, there's no reason you can't work these healthy veggies into your rotation on a regular basis.  Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment