Thursday, December 22, 2011

Home...

There's no place like ___________.

 _________ for the holidays.

_________ is where the heart is.

Each of these phrases suggest that home is a place, something with a distinct location, probably with a zip code.  At this time of the year our thoughts often turn to that place as we plan where we are going to spend our holidays, and reflect on years gone past.  Home, yet another of those 4-letter words that can mean so many things to so many people. 

But is home really a place?  Isn't home more a state of being than an actual location? Personally, I know that the first image that enters my mind when I hear the word "home" is of my childhood home, Greenwood Lake, N.Y. We lived in a number of different houses, so I don't imagine a particular residence. Instead, I recall a time period in my life, friends, and experiences that shaped me into who I am today. Despite my having resided in Albany for more than 20 years, on some level Greenwood Lake will always be home - and I'm a member of the Facebook Group to prove it. The other evening, I was walking around my house, my home of the last 15 years, admiring the holiday lights and the tidy quiet that temporarily makes me notice the boys' absence a little bit less. I had such a sense of peace and belonging that the first word that came to my mind was...home. Happy sigh.

Do you remember how Glinda defined home for Dorothy?

"Home is a place we all must find, child. It's not just a place where you eat or sleep.
Home is knowing. Knowing your mind, knowing your heart, knowing your courage.
If we know ourselves, we're always home, anywhere."

 
With that timeless piece of wisdom in mind, I sincerely wish you each have the chance to be home for the holidays and, more importantly, each and every other day of the year as well. And, although I won't be in GWL or in my DelSo home, or even with many of the people I truly love when night falls on Christmas, I know I'll be home nonetheless.

2 comments:

  1. Why are the most powerful words those of four-letter variety. And if you put l.o.v.e. and h.o.m.e. in the same place, now you're talking.

    Your post reminds me of the Talking Heads' song 'This Must be the Place.' Two lines in particular.

    "Home is where I want to be.
    I guess I'm already there."

    Check out the YouTube vid. I hope David Byrne's dance with the lamp gives you a smile.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqg_ZGcuybs

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous (who knows me well) - I was utterly charmed by David Byrnes's dance. Thank you! I looked up the lyrics and realized that This Must be the Place is quite a romantic little song. Thank you for sharing it with me.

    ReplyDelete