Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Saving the world with soup - a valiant attempt.


Yesterday I began feeling a bit under the weather - kind of sniffley and cold. Waking up this morning, I was achey and undecided if it was yesterday's a.m. workout or some sort of cold-related symptom. Since it stayed with me all day, (and the workout wasn't that hard), I'm inclined to think it is a, dare I say, a flu-like thing I'm battling. My answer is - SOUP!! Tom was a darling and headed over to the Asian Market on Colvin Ave and got me set up with my ingredients. Here's what I did:

Thawed 2 quarts of chicken stock from my freezer in a big pot. Added a couple of minced cloves of garlic and a large knob of ginger root, peeled and sliced, of course. Threw in some bite-sized pieces of uncooked chicken and let it all simmer for about 25 minutes. Added a can of coconut milk, , the juice of one lime, a hearty squeeze of red curry paste, a good 1/4 c of kecap menas. some more ginger because it needed more, and finished it with a package of glass noodles and a coarsely chopped bunch of cilantro. Served it in a bowl on a bed of crunchy bean sprouts. I swear I feel better already!

No comments:

Post a Comment