Sunday, March 14, 2010

Pizza Sunday

After a late night with old friends, curling up on the couch with the paper was about as strenuous an activity I could manage for today. However, since there are mouths to be fed (mouths which are quieted by food), and wine to be enjoyed, I needed a dinner plan that didn't involve lots of effort or expense. Inspired by some already grated mozzarella from Cardona's and a lovely roasted red pepper in the fridge, pizza became the answer. We usually have some frozen pizza dough in the freezer, but in the amount of time required to gently bring it up to room temperature, it is just as easy to make my own. I like this recipe except I don't really follow the directions too closely. At this point, I know how dough is supposed to feel, so I add flour to get it to a texture that I find pleasing. As the dough went through a brief second rise, I caramelized a couple of sliced onions (red & white) in butter and sliced my red pepper into strips for the "grown-up" pizza. I think a hot oven is critical for pizza and I usually fire mine up to 450F. I also like to coat the pizza pan with olive oil and dust it lightly with rough corn meal for some added flavor and texture. The boys' pizza was pretty traditional with red sauce and mozzarella cheese, while for Tom & me it was white pizza with sweet caramelized onions, roasted red peppers, mozzarella and freshly grated parmigiano reggiono - delicious! If I was feeling even slightly more ambitious, I would have rubbed the pan with a crushed garlic clove and drizzled a little balsamic vinegar on top, but, like I said, I was going for simple. And seeing how I was already down an hour (damn you, spring ahead!) I went lazy. Hope you're all spendng an equally enjoyable Sunday with those you love.

1 comment: