Monday, December 6, 2010

Naughty vs. Nice (or Date Night with 2 Lilly Boys)

Before I share my impressions and experience as a spectator at the Slay Belles Rollerderby event this past Saturday night, I have a confession to make... I'm not always nice.  Often, I stop just short of being naughty, sometimes of my own volition sometimes due to another's influence.  There - I feel better now that I've shared that fact. 

Saturday night, I was travelling light with only 2 Lilly boys in tow.  After a fantastic dinner at Emperor's Palace, we headed west in the family wagon, for a new adventure: Roller Derby.

Thanks to the generous folks at All Over Albany, I scored a couple of tickets to the Troy Hellion's Slay Belles - Naughty vs. Nice intra-league bout which was held at Rollarama in Schenectady.  I have no prior experience with roller derbies, (despite what you may have heard) other than a vague memory of some movie from my childhood.  After attending my first roller derby, I have to admit, I still don't know much about it as a sporting event, but, as a good time, I can now say, I'm quite familiar. 

From what I could gather, roller derby is essentially a race between 2 individuals on opposing teams.  The purpose of the remaining team members seems to be to block the opposite team as their "racer" tries to get around the track fastest.  While this may be a succinct description of roller derby, it doesn't begin to describe the highlight of the evening for me - the outfits!  Anytime fishnets, rollerskates and shiny lingerie can be worn together in public, is a banner event, as far as I'm concerned.  Add a little (or a lot) of eyeliner and a feather boa or two, and you've got yourself a good time.  More photos below...



No comments:

Post a Comment