Thursday, June 17, 2010

(Soon to Be) Under the Tuscan Sun

I don't know what your vacation style is.  Do you make plans to visit every historic site, museum and attraction within a 100 km radius or are you more inclined spend your time lounging by the pool?  For me, the perfect vacation is a mellow blend of a couple of must-see tourist attractions, lazy mornings with a second cup of coffee, good food, and lots of walking to absorb the culture.  Based on this criteria, I offer for your perusal our Tuscan itinerary:
  • Sunday, Day 1 - Hanging out at the pool doing some hardcore relaxing.  In the evening we have plans to visit a nearby villa where a traditional Tuscan meal will be prepared for us in honor of Tom's birthday.
  • Monday, Day 2 - No plans, but leaning towards a day trip to the Cinque Terre.  Perhaps a winery or 2.  Tom's "real" birthday so I imagine copious amounts of wine in the evening.
  • Tuesday, Day 3 - I bought tickets to visit (and climb) the Leaning Tower of Pisa in the late morning.  (I factored in the previous evening's copious amounts of wine.  I love the word copious!) I've heard that Pisa is kind of a one-trick pony sort of town, so we'll head to Lucca for the remainder of the day.
  • Wednesday, Day 4 - Florence.  We have tickets to view Michelangelo's David and I am excited to see the Ponte Vecchio where I fully intend to buy something.
  • Thursday, Day 5 - Wine Day!!!  We're still working on hiring a driver to take us to some vineyards where we have appointments scheduled. As a last resort, I will be the designated driver.  No biggie - there will be plenty of wine brought back to the villa, I suspect.
  • Friday, Day 6 - No plans
  • Saturday - We depart in the villa in the a.m. and then have the day to enjoy.  We fly to London in the evening.
So - what have I missed?  And, do you know any drivers in Tuscany? 

2 comments:

  1. Florence is a great City of the Renaissance. Nice place, good access because cars are not allowed to visit the city. Even we went to the beautiful Ponte Vecchio which represents the beauty of Florence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The perfect vacation is a mellow blend of a couple of must-see tourist attractions, lazy mornings with a second cup of coffee, good food, and lots of walking to absorb the culture.

    ReplyDelete