Saturday, October 2, 2010

Oatmeal

Growing up, oatmeal came from a package that only required boiling water to be complete.  And I was okay with that because I knew no other oatmeal.  A number of years ago my mother-in-law shared her simple but delicious oatmeal recipe with me and I've been using it ever since, albeit with some additional ingredients.  Today's cool, crisp morning inspired me to make my first bowl of the season and here's what I did:  In a microwave safe bowl measure 1/2 cup of oats* and 1/2 cup of milk.  Microwave for 1 minute.  Stir, add another 1/4-1/2 cup of milk and cook for 1 more minute. Stir and add yummy things to taste like; brown sugar, cinnamon, raisins, craisins, chopped nuts, a touch of vanilla, maple syrup, sliced bananas... Here's this morning's version - golden raisins, craisins, brown sugar, sliced almonds and cinnamon.  A regular party in a bowl!  What a wonderful, healthy, cheap way to start a day.  Try it!

* I just go basic with a canister of Quaker in my pantry.  Feel free to elevate this to your own standards by using whatever fancy-schmancy steel-cut oats you personally desire.  I'm just a simple girl.

2 comments:

  1. Used oats with some of my apples from picking last wknd for a Brown Betty. Can someone come up with a better name for that please? Brown Betty Draper?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Brown Betty Draper, Rach!! Especially with a tall cup of dark and handsome Don Draper on the side...

    ReplyDelete