Monday, October 25, 2010

Scrambled

I like eggs.  Poached, over-easy, sunny-side up, baked, boiled and, of course, scrambled.  I think eating a couple of fresh eggs a week is an easy way to add important protein, minerals and vitamins to my diet and damn, it's so easy!  This morning I was feeling like something soft and creamy so the natural choice was scrambled.  Not unnatural orange (hello, Mayor Jennings!) eggs that are dry and powdery.  I'm talking about slowly cooked, constantly stirred, luscious eggs - the perfect start to a Sunday.  

I watched an episode of Julia and Jacques: Cooking at Home recently and was mesmerized watching Julia make her scrambled eggs.  She cracked the eggs directly into a generous amount of melting butter in a saute pan, and gently stirred to mix them together.  The heat was fairly low and she was in no rush to cook them, yet was cautious to not overcook them - a fine line.  I tried to find an online video of that particular episode to no avail - if you find a link, drop it to me here, ok?  Anyway, obviously I'm not tall enough to ever be mistaken for Mrs. Child, but I do make some mighty fine scrambled eggs.  Here's how I make it happen...



Melt some butter (unsalted is best, I think) in a nonstick saute pan over low to medium low flame.*  Use a fork beat a couple of eggs together in a bowl just to mix,  add a little milk or 1/2 and 1/2 if you're feeling crazy.  Pour eggs into prepared pan and settle in for some quality stirring time - I find the longer I stir the eggs, the tastier they are.  What's the rush?  It's Sunday!  As the eggs start to set, get ready to start adding whatever sort of deliciousness you have on hand.  This morning I had some roasted red peppers which paired perfectly with the herbed goat cheese log I found in the cheese drawer.  Just as the eggs start to form into soft curds, add your accompaniments and simply heat through removing them from the pan before they are completely done.  They definitely keep cooking for a few moments after leaving the pan, so keep your eye on this!  All that's left to do is add a little salt and pepper and enjoy.

*I've always used gas - you electric cooktop folks can interpret and adjust as necessary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment