Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Sign of the Times - Who's your mayor?

Are all politicians essentially narcisists?  Is there some cachet which I simply don't understand in having one's name emblazoned upon recycling bins, trash cans, a fleet of city vehicles and various signs around our city?  I don't believe the position of mayor is permanent despite the number of years Jerry has been on the job and I have to wonder what the eventual   related expense of having his name removed from all of those publicly owned city assets will be.  And why in God's name is Gerald diminutized to become Jerry?

Years ago, I remember there being a sign welcoming folks to the New York State side of my hometown Greenwood Lake, a nine-mile body of water which straddles N.Y. and N.J.  I can't recall if it was Governor Carey or Governor Cuomo the first who decided that his name being on that particular sign was extraneous and more than a little self-indulgent.  Since that time, decades ago the sign has simply stated  "Welcome to New York, the Empire State."  Doesn't that say all you need to know?
image from upstatenyroads.com

Wouldn't it make cents sense to stop wasting taxpayer money feeding the egos of elected officials?  I know who my mayor is - I even pulled the lever for him a couple of times in the past. I might even miss him when he's gone, something which will eventually happen.  I hope he takes his signs with him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment