Thursday, November 18, 2010

Love and Anger, They Come as a Pair

image from www.wgrg.co.uk
I've had this tune kicking around in my head for the past couple of days - Aimee Mann's Real Bad News.  Are you familiar with Aimee Mann?  Do you know this song?  Here are the lyrics and, for those of you disinclined to click on a link, here's an excerpt:

You don't know, so don't say you do --
You don't.
You might think that things will change,
But take my word --
They won't
You paint a lovely picture,
But reality intrudes
With a message for you
And it's real bad news

While the song has only been repeating in my brain for 50 or 60 hours, the Love and Anger has been present internally for quite a few weeks and, I must say, I'm more than a little tired of the anger part.  I've seen what fury can do to people and I absolutely refuse to allow myself to become pickled in it.  Instead, I do my best to purge the rage, with mixed results, made even more difficult with the continued medical moratorium on strenuous, head-clearing activities such as running and cycling.  I really don't like being angry - it kind of pisses me off. Trust me - I'd much rather be filled with love than anger, unfortunately however, choosing how to feel is an absolutely unobtainable luxury, kind of like a Birkin bag.

What do you do when conflicting emotions are duking it out within your head and heart?  Have you developed a tactic for quieting the negative voices and concentrating instead on the amplification of the optimistic?  It has been a challenge for me to remain focused on the positive half of a twosome of emotions when there were more than two people involved in creating the situation, know what I mean?  Aimee does:
 
And baby, let me tell you
You can get some things confused
Like whose secrets are whose
And that's real bad news.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe it's not time to quiet the negative voices yet. Feel your feelings and mourn your situation before you move on.

    ReplyDelete