Sunday, November 14, 2010

Perhaps the best cookies ever -

If you're making one loaf, you may as well make two.
While I was dusting my counter with flour this morning in preparation of resting some No-Knead Bread, I noticed a recipe on the back of the Gold Medal bag:  "Oatmeal-Chocolate Chip Cookies" I immediately decided to add another round of baking into the day.  The recipe was super easy - and I've finally grown comfortable enough with baking that I can improvise and have fun just as if I were roasting or sauteing.  I've come to understand that things like seasonings and spices can be tweaked without adverse results, so I had my way with this recipe below:

1.5 c packed brown sugar
1 c butter or margarine, softened
1 t vanilla (I used 1.5t)
1 egg
2 c quick-cooking oats
1.5 c unbleached flour
1 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1.5 t cinnamon (my own addition)
1 c semisweet chocolate chips
1 c chopped nuts, if desired (skipped these)

Probably yielded about 3 1/2 dozen cookies
Heat oven to 350 F.  Beat brown sugar, butter, vanilla and egg with electric mixer, or by hand, until well-blended.  Add oats, flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; mix well.  Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.  Refrigerate dough for about 30 minutes (my own suggestion) then drop by tablespoonfuls about 2" apart on an ungreased baking sheet.  Bake 9-11 minutes or until golden brown.*  Cool slightly, then remove from baking sheet onto cooling rack.

What could be bad about putting these two together?
I was so inspired by the baking frenzy today that I created a new cocktail: the Arcadia.  1/5th limoncello to 4/5ths Prosecco - bellissimo!  These were the perfect addition to the festive holiday (isn't every Sunday a holiday?) kind of day it was today. 




* The "doneness" of these cookies prompted a discussion about how cookies should be baked enough - until the sugar and butter begin to caramelize and things get a bit brown and crunchy.  Watch them closely, know they will bake a bit more if you're cooling them first on the baking sheet, and try them a bit crunchy - delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment