Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The New Old(er) Woman

So, I've had 2 training shifts at the Wine Bar and Bistro on Lark and I think I'm going to really enjoy spending my Mondays there.  I must admit, I'm a little intimidated coming into an environment where the staff, particularly Kerry and Jonathan, are so well established, but hopefully my many years of service experience, coupled with my personal familiarity with wine (see -all those bottles of wine were professional research!), will get me through.    I mean, obviously, I know what to do in terms of providing service, I just need to learn what to do there.  It is so odd to be the "new" person after so many years of being the veteran, but, change is a great precursor to growth, and I'm ready to stretch my wings a little bit - move a bit further from my safety net as I ponder where I want to be in other areas of my life.

I love the size of the space at the Wine Bar, especially on cool evenings when the fireplaces are glowing with warmth,  and their team approach to service.  Although I haven't eaten any of Jason's food yet, I have some favorite items on the menu like the Madagascar Shrimp, the Flat-Iron Steak and the amazing Cassoulet.  Additions to the menu include Pork Belly, Rabbit and yesterday they we were featuring an incredible sounding braised Lamb Shank finished with a coddled egg and risotto cakes.

It was wonderful to see so many familiar faces last night and I'm optimistic that both those who know me, as well as patrons with whom I am not acquainted, will be patient as I re-learn how to wait tables.  Hopefully it won't be too reminiscent of my inability to approach  my very first table in my very first waitressing position...I did eventually get over to that table, but I distinctly recall thinking to myself, "You want me to go over to those strangers and talk to them about what they want to eat??  No friggin' way." 

Next Monday, Kerry is cutting me loose to start taking tables and I sincerely hope to see you there.  The smile I'll greet  you with  may be larger than my knowledge of the wine list, but my interest in taking care of you will be equally impressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment